Lipid and fatty acid profile variations in Perna indica and Perna viridis of Kanyakumari district, South east and west coast of India

Document Type : Research Paper


Suganthi Devadason Marine Research Institute


Variations of lipid and fatty acid profile of Perna viridis and Perna indica were assessed from Kanyakumari district.  Lipid compositions varied and were measured as 8.92±0.03% in P. viridis and 6.73±0.01% in P. indica. The percentage composition of individual fatty acids as a ratio of total muscle lipids of P. viridis ranged from 0.11±0.01% to 25.09±0.03% whereas in p . indica it ranged from 0.10±0.01% to 33.2±0.05%.  Highest proportions of fatty acids were of palmitic acid which was present in both species. The ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids was 0.35±0.05 - 3.09±0.04 in P. viridis while in P. indica it was less than 1. Both the mussel species contained essential fatty acids particularly eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid for promoting good health, as well as prevention and healing of diseases in humans. P. viridis and P. indica were recommended for human beings due to the presence of high content of unsaturated fatty acids.